Specialist Clinical Pharmacist
Hours: Full Time
Job Type: Permanent
The clinic is a specialist cancer treatment centre set up by four leading consultants in 2005. We have over 80 consultants who are experienced in diagnosing and treating all forms of cancer, using the latest medical developments to provide advanced treatment options. We are committed to investing in excellent people who want to be part of an organisation that is dedicated to providing the most advanced cancer care.
The post holder will work with the Lead Oncology/Haematology Pharmacist, Lead QA Pharmacist and Senior Specialist Oncology/Haematology Pharmacist to assist in the daily running of a safe and effective pharmacy service. The post holder will maintain and develop the highest standards of patient-focused care in the provision of the pharmacy service.
* To ensure all services provided encompass the principles of best practice, are in accordance with national guidelines and, as far as possible, reflect the needs of the prescribers.
* To assist in the daily running of all areas of the pharmacy department, including designated time in the aseptic unit.
* To work alongside the medicines management team in providing a safe and efficient medicines optimisation service.
* To coordinate discharge planning and implementation in conjunction with the medicines management technician and clinic staff, through involvement with medical and nursing staff identifying discharge times for patients, accuracy checking medicines against the TTO letter and dispensing.
* To ensure that accurate drug histories are obtained for identified patients by communication with the patient/carer and/or by liaising with external organisations including GP practices, community pharmacies and nursing/residential homes, or other facilities.
* To undertake patient counselling on all patients ensuring patients understand their discharge medication.
* To liaise with ward staff over any relevant medicines management issues to ensure concordance/compliance with prescribed medication.
* To ensure that all activities, procedures and documentation meet the requirements of current legislation.
* As part of the pharmacy team, to provide an information-based environment for all staff, patients and relatives and to respond appropriately to requests from medical and nursing staff for information and advice about the selection and use of drug therapy.
* To facilitate and participate in the education and training of pharmacy staff and other health care professionals e.g. nursing staff as necessary.
* To provide professional input into the development of patient group directions, treatment guidelines and patient care pathways.
* To develop and facilitate good working relations with all members of the multi-disciplinary team.
Skills & Experience
* Registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council
* Additional post graduate clinical qualifications e.g. Certificate (or working towards). Clinical Pharmacy in Pharmacy Practice.
* Minimum 1year hospital pharmacy experience, including technical, dispensary and clinical services preferably in oncology.